It’s only been in the last couple of years, that Spiced Pumpkin has become more popular flavour in the UK, thanks to a certain drinks chains latte when the weather is getting chilly. It’s a shame Spiced Pumpkin isn’t more popular here, the warming cousin of a carrot cake. Carrot Cake feels more a Spring bake, especially for the Easter Bunny and this recipe for Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting, is definitely a recipe for when the weather turns cold and the leaves turn crisp and orange.
Due to the fact pumpkin-based recipes are not as popular in the UK, it can be hard to track down canned pumpkin puree. Trust me, I went to four different shops in a day trying to find some. And I still didn’t, so I had to do the next best thing, make some myself! Simply boil some chopped pumpkin until tender, then once drained return to the pan and over low heat dry out the pumpkin so not such a wet mixture. Careful not to let it catch or will become bitter. Blend until smooth and cool completely, then you’re ready to go!Print
Makes 12 Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes –
- 175g Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 100g Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 200g Pumpkin Puree, canned or homemade
- 200g Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
For the Frosting –
- 150g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 170g Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 420g Icing Sugar
- Oven to 180C, line a muffin tin with paper cases and put to one side. In a bowl mix the sugar, melted butter, eggs and pumpkin puree. Mix well.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and spices to the mixture and fold into the egg, pumpkin mixture, until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, transfer the mixture to the cases, this will help to keep everything clean. Divide the mixture evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer to the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Make the frosting, in a stand mixer, soften the butter. Add in the cream cheese and beat again until smooth and combined. Mix in the cinnamon and vanilla with a couple of tablespoons of icing sugar. Gradually, add in the icing sugar and beat in between additions until all of it has been added.
- Using a star nozzle, fill a piping bag with the frosting, adding a good swirl of frosting to each of the cooled cupcakes. To finish, dust lightly with some cinnamon.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!