What’re your favourite chocolates to nibble on? Mine has to be Maltesers, you can nibble off the chocolate around those crisp malt ball centre or just scoff them! This recipe for Maltesers Chocolate Cupcakes includes everything for a Malteser fan! The is a chocolate sponge base with a touch of malt drink powder (like Ovaltine or Horlicks), to bring out that malt flavour. A rich fudgy frosting to act as the best glue to stick as many Maltesers on the top as humanly possible!
When buying your Malteasers, I would recommend more than you need as you won’t be able to not sneak having a few… handfuls whilst decorating them. As well as the family members walking through the kitchen pinching some as well.
These would make a great party food option, as can easily double or triple the quantities. Also would look great all together with their bubbly tops! I made a similar version for my Dad as one big cake, with Toblerone and Chocolate Fingers, which seems a popular post since putting it up a few years ago. Head to the page to see how I decorated it.
I used some plain silver cupcake cases to stand out against the chocolate of the frosting and Maltesers, but again it could be baked into 8″ round tins to make a sandwich cake.Print
Makes 12 Cupcakes
For the Sponge-
- 175g Unsalted Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 25g Malt Drink Powder
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 3 tbsp Whole Milk
For The Frosting –
- 120g Unsalted Butter
- 240g Icing Sugar
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- Splash of Whole Milk
For Decorating –
- 250g Maltesers
- Oven to 180C. Line a muffin tray with the baking cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs, one at a time. Whisk in the flour, cocoa powder, malt drink powder and milk until you have a batter.
- Evenly spread the batter between the baking cases, keeping the edges clean of batter.
- Bake for 15-18 mins until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting. In a clean bowl, whisk the butter until soft and fluffy. Beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder in stages. Add the milk if the frosting is too stiff. Transfer to a piping bag, snipping off the end.
- Pipe the frosting on the top of each of the cupcakes evenly. Top with as many Maltesers you can put on the top, eating the remaining – chef perks.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes, Chocolate
- Method: Baking
Fan of Maltesers, why not try these recipes?
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!