After my brother’s wedding last week (you can see the post I did on making his wedding cake here) we had a family party the next day including my new sister’s French family. Being a truly British affair we had arranged to have afternoon tea in my parents garden. The French family were particularly taken by the combinations of fresh strawberries, scones and rich rich rich clotted cream. And true you form we over organised the food and drink for the event. Hey, you don’t want to starve your visitors! Granted there was a lot of food left over, so I do as I do. And make something delicious into the leftovers! With the weather getting warmer (in a British way!) ice cream is the only recipe I wanted to make.Print
Adapted from Rodda’s Ice Cream Recipe
- 250 ml Full Fat Milk
- 3 Scones (crumbled (mine had sultanas, but plain works too))
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 125 g Caster Sugar
- 460 g Clotted Cream (that’s two pots)
- 250 g Strawberries (hulled, halved)
- 25 g Icing Sugar
- If using an ice cream machine, make sure you freeze the bowl the night before you start. In a bowl crumb the scones and pour over the milk. Allow the milk to soak in for an hour. If you want a stronger flavour you can toast the scones first. Chill the mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Add the sugar and whisk for another 3 minutes. Add the clotted cream and whisk well. Chill.
- Blend the strawberries and icing sugar until smooth, set aside. Into the clotted cream mixture, strain the scone milk and squeeze all the milk from the scones and any soggy scone that might also come through. Whisk the mixture.
- Pour into the machine and churn for 30 minutes until thickened and setting. Pour into a large container and pour over the strawberry puree. Mix through to ripple effect. Freeze until solid. When you want to serve, bring the container out of the freezer for 30 minutes before scooping.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Ice Cream
- Cuisine: British
How do you like to enjoy your scones?
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!