At this time of year, many of the recipes that capture the flavours Christmas include some key ingredients – mixed spice, cinnamon, almonds, mixed peel and raisins. But for me, my favourite seasonal ingredient is Marzipan. Some people hate it and some like me, love it. The Marmite of the sweet world. If you’re a fan, find a friend who doesn’t when it comes to eating the Christmas cake, you’ll end up will all the unwanted marzipan to nibble on. That’s why this recipe for Stollen Muffins have big chunks of marzipan throughout the filling alongside the fruit and spices. The ones that make it to the bottom of the case get nice and caramelised edges.
The tops of the muffins are brushed with melted butter and a liberal dusting of icing sugar once they come out of the oven, as you would if making a traditional stollen. If you don’t like any of the fruit or nuts in the list, you can easily swap out one for another or double up on a particular if you prefer. I’ve scattered even more flaked almonds on the top of mine as you can tell I’m an almond fan.Print
Makes 8 Muffins
- 185g Self Raising Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 40g Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 125g Unsalted Butter
- 110g Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Free Range Eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 60g Mixed Peel
- 60g Pistachios, chopped
- 30g Flaked Almonds
- 30g Raisins
- 85g Marzipan, cut into large chunks
- 30g Flaked Almonds, extra
For decorating –
- 25g Unsalted Butter, melted
- Icing Sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line the muffin tin with cupcake caseshttps://amzn.to/36PBYBD.
- Sift the flour into a medium bowl. Stir in the baking powder, ground almonds, mixed spice and cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract, then the flour mixture. Stir in the mixed peel, pistachios, flaked almonds, raisins and marzipan chunks, and mix until well combined.
- Divide the cake mixture across the cases, filling each case to two-thirds full. Sprinkle over the extra flaked almonds.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until well risen. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the tin. Carefully brush the tops of each muffin with the melted butter and then sprinkle liberally with the icing sugar, then allow to cool completely.
- Category: Muffins, Cakes, Christmas
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: German
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!