This recipe might be totally ridiculous, there’s a whole lot of flavours and textures going on and all totally work together. This recipe is for a delicious Pretzel and Popcorn Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart. See, ridiculous! There’s a crushed salted pretzel crust, with a creamy salted caramel layer, dark rich chocolate ganache, then topped with toffee popcorn and more shards of salted pretzels.
The crust can be fairly crumbly but you can up the level of butter a little bit if you prefer a firmer crust, but the crumbs mixing with the decadent caramel and ganache makes it a cross between a tart and a crumble.
You can take it up another level, infusing fresh coffee into the cream for the ganache or even adding in some dark spiced rum.
The salt elements in this recipe, from the pretzels and the salt in the caramel, might seem like something you could miss out but the salt balances out the sweetness of the caramel, the toffee popcorn as well as enhancing the richness from the chocolate. Embrace the salt!
Equipment You'll NeedPrint
For the Pretzel Base –
- 150g Salted Pretzels
- 100g Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1tbssp Caster Sugar
For the Salted Caramel –
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 125ml Double Cream
- 25g Unsalted Butter
- A Good Pinch of Fine Table Salt
For the Chocolate Ganache –
- 235ml Double Cream
- 300g Dark Chocolate Drops
For Decorating –
- 75g Salted Pretzels, broken in shards
- 75g Toffee Popcorn
- First for the Pretzel Base. Place the pretzels in a processor and pulse until coarse breadcrumb size, some chunks are good for texture. Add the crumbs to the melted butter with the caster sugar and mix well. Press firmly into a 20cm fluted loose bottom tart tin. Using a heavy bottom tumbler glass, press the crust firmly up the edges and on the base. Chill while you make the next stages.
- Next, make the Salted Caramel. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, sprinkle a layer of the icing sugar (not using it all, just a couple of tablespoons worth), when you start seeing the sugar melting to a liquid through the surface, sprinkle on more icing sugar. If starts to smoke a little, lift the pan off the heat and then return it. Continue until all the sugar is melted, giving it a slight stir. Reduce the heat to low, whilst stirring add the cream a drop at a time as will spit and will seize if you add all at once. When all the cream has been added, stir in the butter and the salt, stir until the butter has melted. Pour into a bowl and cool until needed. Once cooled, spoon over the pretzel base and level to a smooth layer. Return to the fridge again.
- To make the chocolate ganache, in a large pan, pour in the cream bringing to the boil. While heating put the chocolate in a glass bowl. Pour over the cream over the chocolate. Mix until you have a smooth ganache and the chocolate has melted through. Allow cooling slightly, before pouring over the caramel. And return to the fridge.
- When ready to serve, remove the tart from the fridge for 20 minutes to soften up slightly, decorate the surface with the broken pretzel and toffee popcorn in a design you like. Enjoy!
- Category: Dessert, Chocolate
- Method: Baking
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!