Sometimes just a chocolate bar is what you need to brighten your day. At the moment, of course, popping out to get a chocolate bar isn’t essential travel so when desperate times strike, you need to make your own! Toffee Crisp bars have chocolate coated Rice Krispies base then a chewy buttery caramel on top, all coated in more milk chocolate. My parents had a craving for some and luckily had all the ingredients to create my own. Here’s my recipe for a Homemade Toffee Crisp Bars!
The caramel is from Cloudy Kitchen’s wonderful website from her Salted Caramel Shortbread Bars, using soft dark brown sugar, you get a deep treacly flavour to your caramel which actually cuts through the overall richness of the chocolate bars. I simmered the mixture for 7 minutes rather than 4 minutes to make the mixture thicker to hold up to being able to be cut easier.
The bars are delicious as the crisp base and caramel but to make it really like the real thing, you got to coat them in more chocolate. I put mine straight on parchment rather than a rack so you get a nice thick coating, but you can let the excess drip off over a rack. But sho’s going to argue with some extra chocolate.
Will Make about 16 bars depending how bit you cut them!
- 75g Rice Krispies cereal
- 260g Milk Chocolate, melted
- 110g Unsalted Butter
- 200g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 80g Golden Syrup
- 397g can of Condensed Milk
- 250g Milk Chocolate
- Line a 15x 30cm tin with parchement paper.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and gently melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of kettle boiled water. Stir until smooth, take off the heat, and stir in the Rice Krispies and coat well.
- Press the mixture into the prepared tin, creating an even layer. Place in the fridge while you make the caramel.
- Melt the butter, sugar and syrup gently in a saucepan, when all melted, stir in the condensed milk.
- Bring the caramel to a simmer and stir constantly and let it simmer for 7 minutes until it should be thick enough to leave a trail in the caramel on the surface for a few seconds.
- Leave for two minutes to cool slightly before pouring the caramel over the chilled rice crispies layer. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before putting it in the fridge to set up.
- For the coating, break the chocolate into pieces and gently melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of kettle boiled water. Stir until smooth, take off the heat. Cut the bar into rectangles, and dunk in the melted chocolate, drain off any excess and place on parchment until the chocolate sets.
- Category: Chocolate
- Method: Baking
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below images!