Things are about to get real cheesy around here. Namely in the form of a recipe for Cheddar Cheese and Spring Onion Swirl Buns! A super-soft bread recipe, spread with a soft goats’ cheese, plenty of sharp tangy Cheddar cheese, onion hit from fresh spring onions and a slight heat from smoked paprika. Making it a perfect savoury treat to tear ‘n’ share at a garden picnic or BBQ.
They are formed like a savoury Chelsea Bun, that irresistible swirl to unroll to find the cheesy pockets. I’ve used a soft spreadable goats’ cheese as a base for my grated Cheddar to bind to, for easier rolling. It’s milder than a normal goat cheese log, but if you’re not a fan, then you could use cream cheese instead. If you want to be wild they could even be sliced in half to make crazy burger buns!
Have a play with the cheese options, I went fairly traditional with Cheddar and spring onion, but you could try Manchego and Chorizo or Brie and Caramelised Onion. Limitless options!Print
Makes 8 Buns (two will be the rougher end rolls)
- 275 ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
- 50 g Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 700 g Strong White Bread Flour
- 14 g Dried Active Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 150g Spreadable Goats’ Cheese
- 225g Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 6 Spring Onions, chopped
- Sprinkle of Smoked Paprika
- Warm the milk and butter in a small pan until the butter is melted and warm to touch. In a stand mixer bowl, add the bread flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Then add to the dry ingredients the eggs and warm milk mixture.
- Mix the dough on low in the mixer with a dough hook attachment, until all the ingredient come together. Then increase the speed and knead the dough for 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Cover the bowl and leave until doubled in size, I like to use a clean shower cap.
- On a flour dusted surface, roll the dough into a 30x 15cm rectangle, trying to keep it even as possible. Spread the goats’ cheese all over and up the edges.
- Sprinkle the Cheddar all over the goats’ cheese, followed by the spring onion and a light dusting of the paprika.
- Along the long edge, slowly roll up the dough trying to keep it a tight roll. Pinch the seal close. Cut into 8 even pieces.
- Place the pieces cut side up in to a large roasting dish spread a part. Lightly cover with clingfilm and leave for an hour. Oven to 180C.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and oozy.
- Category: Cheese, Buns
- Method: Baking
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!