Today is my Mum’s special birthday. Bless my mum she has been given many nicknames over the years by me and my brother. One of my favourites is Elizabethan England, Mothercare and of course which she answers in supermarkets – Spam. Don’t ask why, but my lovely best friend and mum takes it in her stride. My mum (and dad) have always been super supportive of everything I do and especially been amazing with my baking over the years. My mum is a fantastic baker as was her mum and I like to think her skills have been passed on to me. My mum has also passed on her love of all things chocolate to me as well. A fellow partner in crime of hunting out the sweet treats.
To celebrate her special day, I made cupcakes that couldn’t possibly get any more chocolate or Nutella in them and trust me I tried. I present to you- Nutella Fudge Cupcakes with a Nutella filling, Nutella Frosting, Butterscotch Nuggets, Raspberry Fudge and plenty of GLITTER!!!!!
Time to crack open this beauty….
Don’t be shy with the Nutella for the filling.Print
Adapted from Julie Le Clerc – Little Cafe Cakes
- 1 cup Water
- 250g Unsalted Butter
- 250g Dark Chocolate
- 2 cups Caster Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Large Free-Range Eggs (beaten)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 100g Nutella
- 75g Nutella
- 125g Unsalted Butter
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 75g Butterscotch Nuggets
- 75g Raspberry Fudge Nuggets
- Gold Edible Glitter
- Oven to 160C. Line 12 muffin hole tin with paper cases, and set aside. Combine the water, butter, chocolate and sugar in a saucepan and melt together over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Cool slightly.
- Sift the flour and cocoa and mix into the butter mixture and whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Pour two-thirds of the mixture into the paper cases. Using teaspoons spoon in nuggets of Nutella into the middle of the batter in each case. Top with the remaining batter. Bake for 25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In a stand mixer, beat the Nutella and butter until smooth, beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder in stages until the frosting is light and fluffy. Add a splash of milk to loosen the mixture if too firm. Spoon into a piping bag, snip the tip and pipe a cloud of frosting on top of each cake.
- Decorate with nuggets of butterscotch and raspberry fudge pieces. Like a fairy sprinkle over the gold edible glitter until they sparkle.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Cakes, Cupcake, Chocolate
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SPAM!! xxx
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!