Poor Santa must be so fed up with mince pies being left out for him. Why not this year leave him out something he will really enjoy? How about some Gingerbread Cupcakes with Gingerbread Frosting. This recipe is for soft spiced sponges with rich brown sugar for a treacly flavour topped with lighter than air buttercream frosting with more of warming ginger and a touch of black treacle for colour and that straight from the oven cookie flavour.
I’ve used Christmas sprinkles to decorate my cupcakes which had a great mix of candy canes, gingerbread people, stars, coated crispy balls. None of those rock had silver balls I had when I was young! You can always add in mini gingerbread biscuits to the frosting to decorate, keeping it a more simple design. I’ve used in the past Gingerbread Syrup in the frosting as well or even some brushed over the sponges when they come out of the oven. If you do use the syrup in the frosting, remove the ground ginger and black treacle and add the ginger back in to taste depending on the strength of flavour from the syrup you use.
Equipment You'll NeedPrint
Makes 9 Cupcakes
For Gingerbread Sponge-
- 175g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 175g Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 2 Large Free Range Egg
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2tbsp Whole Milk
For Gingerbread Frosting-
- 150g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 350g Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Black Treacle
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
Festive sprinkles to decorate!
- Make the cupcakes. Oven to 180C, in a bowl, whisk the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale. If your sugar has lumps it will mean the cakes will have treacly pockets in the cake, not necessarily a bad thing. Beat in the egg until incorporated then the flour, the spices and milk, until you have a batter. Spoon the mixture into baking cases, evenly across the cases. Place on a tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
- Make the frosting. In a bowl, beat the butter until soft, whisk in the icing sugar and ground ginger. It will be crumbly and dry, then add the black treacle and whisk in. The frosting will suddenly come together. Keep beating to smooth airy frosting. Scoop into a piping bag with a star nozzle for decorating.
- To decorate, topping each cake with a frosting dome. Sprinkle with plenty of sprinkles, and make one very happy Santa.
- Category: Cupcakes, Christmas
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, German
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!