Adapted from Peggy Porschen Cupcakes.
- 120 g Unsalted Butter
- 320 g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 275 g Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 260 g Buttermilk
- 7 tsp Red Food Colouring
- 1 1/2 tsp White Wine Vinegar (you won’t taste it in the cupcakes!)
- 1 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 250 g Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 250 g Unsalted Butter (softened )
- 625 g Icing Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Edible Decorations
- Oven to 170C, line two 12 hole muffin trays with cases. Place the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla in a bowl and cream until pale and fluffy. Lightly beat the eggs in a jug and slowly add to the butter mixture while beating quickly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder (grated chocolate), food colouring and buttermilk until there are no flour lumps and mix until the butter mixture until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar, fold into the batter quickly. Fill the cases up until two-thirds full. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the tops are dry. Leave to cool completely.
- Make the frosting. Place the cream cheese in a bowl and soften until creamy and smooth. In a stand mixer bowl, beat the butter and a third of the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Repeat with another third of the sugar until combined, and finish with the last third of the sugar and vanilla extract. Beat in the cream cheese to the icing until lump free. Chill until ready to pipe.
- Scope the icing into a piping bag and swirl on top of the cakes to cover the top. Finish with an edible hunk and sprinkles.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American