Makes 12 Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes –
1tbsp Instant Coffee Granules
150g Unsalted Butter
150g Dark Brown Sugar
25g Cocoa Powder
165 g Plain Flour
2tsp Baking Powder
4tbsp Coffee Liqueur, like Tia Maria
3 Free Range Large Eggs
For the Coffee Liqueur Frosting –
- 125g Unsalted Butter
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 4tbsp Coffee Liqueur, like Tia Maria
For Decorating –
- Cocoa Powder for dusting
- Chocolate Coffee Beans
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Put Muffin Cases in 12 muffin tins. Put the coffee granules in a small heatproof dish and spoon over 2 tsp boiling water. Stir to dissolve and set aside.
- Put the butter in a mixing bowl with the brown sugar. Whisk together until creamy and lighter in texture and colour.
- Gradually beat in the eggs and coffee liqueur until well blended. Sift the cocoa, flour and baking powder on top and using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the flour into the whisked ingredients along with the coffee liquid.
- Divide the mixture equally between the cake cases, using ice cream scoop to evenly divide and smooth over the tops. Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the frosting, soften the butter with a stand mixer, gradually add in the icing sugar until all has been added and beat until fluffy. Mix in the coffee liqueur and beat well. Transfer to a piping bag with a star nozzle, pipe the frosting on the top of each cooled cupcakes. Dust with cocoa powder and coffee beans.
- Category: Dessert, Chocolate
- Method: Baking