Originally from Rachel Southall recipe- Masterchef series 1993 The me notes are my mums additions.
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 50g Plain Flour
- 600ml Chicken Stock
- 600ml Milk
- 4 Bunches of Watercress (stalks trimmed, approx 400g in total)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 Lemon (juice)
- 150ml Single Cream
- Sprig of Watercress to serve/ swirl of cream
- Melt the butter in a large pan and gently fry onion and garlic until soft but not browned. Stir in flour and cook for a minute and then remove from the heat and gradually add the stock, stirring until well blended. Return to the heat and bring to the boil stirring all the time.
- Add the milk, watercress, nutmeg, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stirring and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Purée the mixture with a stick blender and then return to the pan and heat gently (but do not boil) and then add the cream. Serve piping hot.
- Category: Soup, Savoury
- Cuisine: British