Adapted from Joy the Baker
- 2 cups Cooked Mashed Sweet Potato
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Caster Sugar
- ½ Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 ¼ cup Evaporated Milk (roughly two-thirds of a standard UK tin)
- 3 Large Free-Range Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Roughly 300g Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- Add the cooked mash sweet potato to a medium saucepan, add the brown sugar, spices, butter, half the evaporated milk. Over low heat, cook the mixture for about 5 minutes until it starts to bubble. Set aside to cool.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs until well mixed, then adding the remaining amount of evaporated milk, caster sugar and vanilla and mixed again until all lovely and creamy.
- Slowly mix the sweet potato mixture to the egg mixture, making sure thing it’s nicely mixed together. At this point, you can chill overnight for the flavours to develop more or bake straight away. Place a baking tray in the oven, heat to 200C.
- Butter a large pie dish, and line with the rolled out pastry and trim to neat but don’t cut too short or the pastry will shrink back. Pour in the cooled down mixture into the pastry case and place the dish on the hot baking tray in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes then turn down the temperature to 160C and cook for 50-60 minutes until the centre no longer has a wiggle. Cool to room temperature and serve with cream and tuck right in!
- Category: Pies, Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American