I thought a Carbonara style dinner would be the perfect way to use my homemade bacon. I fried up the bacon in lardons to extract the fat from it to use as a base of the béchamel sauce.
- 150 g X-Rated Homemade Bacon
- 30 g Plain Flour
- 450 ml Milk (I used semi skimmed as that’s what was in the fridge but you could use any- soya, skimmed, whole, even double cream)
- A Good Measure of Ground Black Pepper
- 150 g Extra Mature Cheddar (grated)
- 200 g Pasta of Your Choice (I went spaghetti as that was all I had to hand.)
- In a large frying pan, crisp the bacon lardons until they are nice and crisp – just like a pan of sexy roasted pork belly. Put the pasta cooking while you finish up the sauce- this meal doesn’t take too long.
- Add the flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, this will start to rupture the starch cells, which will then thicken the added milk.
- Slowly add the milk, keep stirring until it is at a beautifully thick consistency. You may or may not use up all the milk or need a splash more depending on what consistency you fancy.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the black pepper and the grated cheese, letting the heat of the sauce melt it. Drain the pasta and serve the sauce over the top. Turn off the lights so no one can see the filth dish you’ve just made.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Meat, Pasta, Savoury
- Cuisine: Italian