Makes one delicious loaf
For the dough
- 2tsp Dried Fast Active Yeast
- 330g Strong White Bread Flour
- 40g Caster Sugar
- A Pinch of Table Salt
- 1 Free Range Egg
- 85g Whole Milk
- 90g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
For the filling
- 300g Raspberry Jam
- 200g White Chocolate Chunks
- 1 Free Range Egg, beaten
For the syrup
- 100g Water
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- First, make the dough. In a stand mixer bowl, mix the yeast, flour, sugar and salt together with a hook attachment. Add the egg, milk and butter to the flour mixture, mix until combined on a medium speed and starting to form into a ball. Knead the dough for 5-6 minutes. Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, roll the chilled dough on a lightly dusted surface and roll into a rectangle about 50cm x30cm. Spread the jam over the dough, right into the corners. Scatter over the white chocolate chunks. Roll up tightly from the long side, so you have a 50cm log. Chill the dough for 30 minutes if it becomes too soft.
- Butter a 2lb loaf tin and line the base and alongside with parchment, overhanging the edge to help to remove it later.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log in half along its length to expose the layers. Place the halves with the cuts facing upwards. Lift half over the other half so they are forming a cross, with the filling upwards, twist the ends. Place the plait into the tin. Leave to prove, until doubled in size, this can take up to 2 hours if you’re kitchen is cold.
- Whilst proving make the syrup. Add all the ingredients in a small pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil for a few minutes then remove from the heat.
- Oven to 220C, brush the beaten egg over the top. Bake for 10 minutes, turn the tin around and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 190C and bake for another 10 minutes. If it looks at any point it’s browning too quickly, cover with some foil so it doesn’t catch early.
- Remove from the oven and immediately pour over the sugar syrup all over the hot loaf. Leave to cool completely before removing or it will crumble.
- Remove from the tin and slice into thick slices and enjoy!
- Category: Chocolate
- Method: Baking