- Unsalted Butter, for greasing
- 8 Butter Croissants, stale
- 4tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 150g Shredded Ham Hock
- 150g Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated, plus 25g extra for the top
- 3 Large Free Range Eggs
- 50ml Double Cream
- 350ml Whole Milk
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Oven to 180C. Butter an oven dish (approx, 34 x 24cm), set it aside. Slice the croissants horizontal but leave them attached to the edge.
- Spread on the bottom of the slice with the Dijon mustard, sprinkle the ham hock and cheddar over the mustard, using up all the ham and Cheddar across all the croissants. Cut the croissants in half. Transfer the halves to the prepared oven dish, points upright. Scatter over any ham or cheese that falls out back over the dish.
- In a jug, whisk the eggs, cream, milk and black pepper to taste, pour over the croissants, evenly coating them all. Leave to stand for 25-30 minutes for the milk mixture to soak in.
- Scatter over the remaining 25g Cheddar over the top of the dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Serve with a salad, delicious when warm as well as hot from the oven.
- Category: Savoury, Cheese
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British