Makes 24 Marshmallows
- Mix the cornflour, icing sugar and citric acid powder together in a bowl and sift half of the mixture over the clingfilm lined tray and carefully put to one side.
- In a stand mixer bowl, add the water, powdered gelatine and elderflower essence and allow to absorb for 10 minutes. Fix the whisk attachment to the stand mixer.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the second lot of water, caster sugar and golden syrup. Over low heat, slowly dissolve the sugar, then turn up the heat to a boil until the syrup reaches 130C on a sugar thermometer. When the temperature is reached, leave to stand for a minute off the heat.
- Whisk the gelatine/water mix on medium speed, adding the hot syrup slowly pouring down the side of the bowl until all the syrup is added.
- Increase the speed to maximum and whisk for 8- 10 minutes until the marshmallow becomes thick and fluffy, looks stretchy.
- Scrap the mixture into the prepared tin, try to level as much as possible.
- Sift over the remaining cornflour, icing sugar and citric acid powder mixture over the surface. Leave uncovered overnight to dry and set.
- Turn the marshmallow out onto a chopping board and using a dusted knife in more cornflour/icing sugar mix, cut the marshmallows into 24 pieces. Will keep for 2 weeks in an airtight container, if you can last that long.
- Category: Sweet Treat, Confectionery
- Cuisine: British